As of 1/4/22:
Some county trails are starting to open.
From Bluehills Trailblazers (Bruce) 12/30/21:
-Trail 12 from the Chippewa River and the Village of Bruce is legal to ride. This is the only segment of trail that is being opened at this time. This is not an endorsement to ride the Chippewa River. Never assume the ice is safe just because there are tracks on it. Conditions can change constantly.
From Bluehills Trailblazers (Bruce) 1/2/2022:
Trail OPENING north of Hwy 8.
Early season conditions. Hazards may be prevalent. Ride safely at you're own discretion.
- Trail 31 from Bruce to warming shelter and to Sawyer County Snowmobile ATV Alliance, Birchwoodbobcatriders is groomed and in fair condition.
- Trail 12 from Bruce to JS Supper Club & Catering and Ladysmith Driftbusters Snowmobile Club is NOT GROOMED.
From Ladysmith Driftbusters trails will OPEN 1/2/2022 at 8:00am:
Conditions are POOR to FAIR. The groomer has not been through all trails. It will be rough with possible rocks, brush, sticks, and wet areas. Please ride with extreme caution. Ruts, swamps and creek crossings are not filled. While riding, please try not to single track as we need the trail packed wide to build the base. Groomers will continue to work the trails throughout the week but we need another round of snow to improve conditions. RIDE SAFE!
- DO NOT USE THORNAPPLE RIVER CROSSING.
- Corbett Lake swamp in town is froze but ugly...more cattails than snow on the trail.
- Trail 12/27 from JS Supper Club & Catering to Ladysmith is groomed and in fair condition.
- Trail 98 from Ladysmith to Conrath has been groomed and is in fair condition. There is one plowed field that is passable. A small, shallow open creek crossing was filled with snow. Hopefully will freeze in tonight.
- Trail 116 from Ladysmith to Tony has been groomed and is in fair condition. There are 2 plowed fields that should be avoided until more snow.
- Trail 12 (high line trail) from Ladysmith toward Adventures Resort-Bar, Grill, and Campground is NOT GROOMED.
- Trail 116 from Tony to Ingram is NOT GROOMED.
- Trail 27 from Ladysmith, past The Pickled Gill and Cedar Lodge to Winter Huskies Snowmobile Club Trail 5S is NOT GROOMED.
- Trail 99 from 5S to Flambeau River Lodge is very rough with beaver dam issues including a couple washed out culverts. Extra caution required! Continuing down to Tony, all of Trail 99 is NOT GROOMED.
-Keep checking back for updates, or visit the Ride Rusk Facebook page for reports on trail maintenance and grooming.
Cross-Country Ski Trails
Blue Hills Trails report:
1/4/22 update: Just enough snow this past week to provide an adequate base, with just a bit of caution you can use your good skis. All the East Side trails are open. Classic track was set last Wednesday, it's present on the East Side Core Loop and several side trails including the Otter Slide / Far East network, the Whitetail, and the Roundabout Trails. Conditions for skating range from fair to good to very good. The skate deck has a variable quality - some trail segments are in great shape, other areas are occasionally soft or irregular, and in some areas the snow structure buckled under the weight of the grooming machines and it was hard to hide the tracks.
Some of the West Side trails were packed (rolled) for the first time on December 30th. They'll be soft but probably skiable. Until the West Side logging is done, you can access the West Side at Letter L. (West Side access currently is limited due to logging - READ THE IMPORTANT UPDATES INFO section).
-Be sure to visit their website or Facebook page for more trail conditions.
Ladysmith Area Trails report:
12-29-21 update: All trails at Sisters farm have been groomed and tracks set. East side for both skate and track skiing, West side tracked for skiing and Fat bike/snowshoe rolling complete. With the cold temps planned tonight the trail should set up well. Please remember the East side trails are for skiing and the West side for track skiing, fat biking and snowshoeing. When snowshoeing please do not hike on the tacked snow for skiing also please do not hike on the groomed trails without snowshoes, It potholes the trail and makes it difficult for other trail users. Get out and enjoy.
-For more updates, check out the Ladysmith Area Trail Association Facebook page.
1/2/22 update: These snowmakers have just pushed more than 20 million gallons of water onto our slopes in a mere 392.5 hours. (For the record: they got the job done this season with the least amount of snowmaking hours and in the shortest time frame compared to any other snowmaking season at Christie which is no small feat!). These men have officially finished snowmaking and we should be 100% this Saturday!!
-Check out their website or Facebook page for more updates.