Snow and Trail Conditions Update
As of 3/24/2023:
3/27/2023 from Flambeau Area Trail Tenders - The Flambeau River opened up all the way around the bend, down river from Flater's. Please stay off. I don't expect the ice conditions to last very long on the lake either. Still quite a bit of ice, but it is going to start deteriorating fast. Time to put the sleds away for the year, and start planning for next year.
Thank you to all our landowners for graciously allowing us to cross your land. Without you, our sport that we enjoy, would not be possible.
As a group, we all apologize to our landowners for the few inconsiderate people out there who cannot stay on the trail. They make all of us look bad, when in reality it is just a few bad apples.
I am sure that those who ride like Dick, have no clue what it takes to keep our trail system going.
So if you are out riding, and you see Dick, make sure you explain to him, or her, what the ramifications of their actions could be. If they won't listen, then please report them. We, as a group, work way too hard, to have one inconsiderate individual ruin it for all of us.
Have a great summer, and we will see you on the trails next season!
-Please check the Ride Rusk page for confirmation on your trail routes and for updates on trail maintenance and grooming.
Cross Country Ski Trails
Crust Skiing on Audie Lake
Lovely conditions skate skiing the crust on Audie Lake Sunday morning. From what I could tell, no humans have visited Audie Lake this winter. And that means you have an untouched wilderness adventure to enjoy. On Sunday, the best crust skiing was available from early morning until about 10:30-11:00 a.m.
Please note the following;
- To reach Audie Lake, drive north on the Fire Lane Road (past the turnoff to the Blue Hills Ski Trail) and after about a mile, turn left (west) onto Perch Lake Road.
- Be forewarned - Perch Lake Road is then a more challenging road to navigate. It's narrower, more snow rutted, and probably best to use a vehicle with higher clearance.
- When you reach the usual entrance to the Audie Lake Campground and boat landing, you'll be surprised to find the access road unplowed.
- Keep driving the Perch Lake Road for another 0.3 mile where there's a good spot to turnaround and park -- with a short walk down to Audie Lake.
- Put on your skis and go explore!
- Ski the perimeter -- it's about 6 km
- In the southern most bay, you can ski up a small hill onto a small lake. From there, continue south across that unnamed lake and you can ski onto the West Side of the Blue Hills Trail and look for Letter F to orient yourself.
Ladysmith Area Trails report:
(3/13/23): Sisters Farm Trail Update. What do you do when you get 10 inches of snow in March? You groom and groom and groom. Jim groomed the East this morning and I groomed the West side. Very soft so we made a lot of passes but with the cold temps tonight trails should be good tomorrow and for the next few days. I know people are getting tired of snow bur should be a good stretch to get out on the trails
-For more updates, check out the Ladysmith Area Trail Association Facebook page.
Sending a fond farewell to a season filled with it's share of ups and downs, and a heartfelt thank you to all of the staff that rode along with us every step of the way. To the customers who make it worth the while, I will miss the life and joy you bring to this hill and will be counting the days until we have the chance to ride with you again.
PS:. ¡Gracias a toda la increíble familia Christie por hacer que esta colina pueda correr un fin de semana extra sin mí! buenas noches desde Costa Rica
Stay in the loop!
Stay up to date on the latest Rusk County events, contests and deals.