Snow and Trail Conditions Update
As of 3/13/2023:
If you're one of the lucky ones that gets to play in all the fresh snow today be aware that groomers are out during day today! Great day to ride!
-Please check the Ride Rusk page for confirmation on your trail routes and for updates on trail maintenance and grooming.
Cross Country Ski Trails
What a Winter!
I've lived in Ladysmith since 1986, and I think this winter is some type of record breaker. And it's not done - 8 days til the first day of spring!
7" new snow at 4 p.m. today (Sunday, March 12) and snowing lightly. Consider the following...
- Devastating ice storm in mid December
- Abundant moisture-rich snowfalls. Instead of dry snowfalls and a cold January, late December and early January were warm and damp, and January never consistently cooled down.
- Several rain events that have added to the base rather than melting the snow.
- Near record snow totals this year - 83 inches and counting as of 4 p.m. today: CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SNOW SUMMARY SINCE 1999 - this summary is always available by visiting the 'Trail Conditions' link at the top center of the website pages.
- Over the course of the previous 23 winters, we've averaged 61.8 inches of snow each winter, with the current record of 89 inches during the winter of 2013-14 (the driest winters were 38 inches in both 2015-16 and 2009-10).
- I haven't tried to determine the actual moisture content of each winter's snowfall, but based on the depth of snow in my front yard, I think this winter may set the record. A lot of my hedges and ornamentals have gone missing.
We're planning to pack today's abundant new snow -- the timing depends on moisture content and temperatures. Our goal is to compress and level today's new snow so it can absorb the predicted Thursday rain -- then groom for some more good skiing next weekend. And then we're hoping for more typical temps (maple syrup kind of temps with March freeze/thaw cycles) to transition the snow and create crust skiing where you can ski ANYWHERE!-Be sure to visit their website or Facebook page for more trail conditions.
Ladysmith Area Trails report:
(3/10/23): We groomed Sisters Farm and the lighted loop at the high school today. Sisters Farm groomed up well but will be soft yet today with the warm temps. So maybe give the trails a break today at least for snowshoeing and fat tire biking. Colder tonight so the trails should be great for all users tomorrow morning. Get on the trails early while temps are below freezing and give the trail a break when the temps go higher to help the trails last as long as we can.
-For more updates, check out the Ladysmith Area Trail Association Facebook page.
Love it or Lose it? This is the never ending debate when it comes to Christie's t-bar.
As far as I am concerned our t-bar plays a huge role in giving people that unique experience that makes our customers fall in love with Christie. It not only serves up a bit of nostalgia, which I think we could all use right now, but it makes for a quick ride to the top of some of our most loved and most challenging trails. Can it be a little intimidating the first time or two? Most definitely. Can you sit back and relax on the way up? Probably not but you will be hard pressed to find a better view than the one this lift has to offer, and chances are you won't have to wait in line to experience it.
After many years of pleading my case I am overjoyed to tell you that we are finally ready to make the commitment to embrace this fabulous little lift and give it the love it so desperately needs. We've got some great plans in store so stay tuned later this week to see how you can help revive the t-bar! I cannot wait to see this idea come to fruition - it is going to be absolutely amazing!
Stay in the loop!
Stay up to date on the latest Rusk County events, contests and deals.