Snow and Trail Conditions Update
As of 12/12/22
Although snowmobile trails are still closed, clubs are out getting the trails ready for the upcoming season!
-Please check the Ride Rusk page for confirmation on your trail routes and for updates on trail maintenance and grooming.
Cross Country Ski Trails
Blue Hills Trails report:
We groomed Excelsior Road this morning (Monday)!
Ski the West Side Tuesday if you can.
- The series of Wisconsin gun deer hunts ended Sunday evening (yesterday).
- With permission from the Rusk County Forestry Department, this morning we activated our sharing agreement for use of Excelsior Road (the major access point to the West Side trails).
- Our groomers pulled our ABR trail renovator out of storage, and used it to rip out the ruts from truck traffic, and replace it with corduroy.
- After several passes, the full 3 km length of Excelsior Road was in surprisingly good shape.
- The mixing of multiple snowfalls (i.e., different types of snow crystals) started setting up and providing nice creamy skating conditions (and probably decent striding) right away.
- The new trail on the West Side (Y to Z) awaits your pleasure. It dips and rolls and climbs, and offers the highest vantage point on the West Side -- about 200 meters south of Letter Z.
- Try this 7 km loop: ski from the new parking lot (east end of Excelsior Road) to Letter Y, then enjoy the new trail (Y to Z) before returning via Z-E-D-C-B-A to the parking area -- or try the reverse. It's mostly considered 'beginner' conditions, but because of the elevation changes it will challenge your fitness.
- FYI: per the agreement established a few years ago, we share Excelsior Road with ATVs and snowmobiles that are allowed use of the south half of Excelsior Road. This has worked surprisingly well the past couple years. If you find someone that isn't respecting this arrangement, please gently educate them.
-Be sure to visit their website or Facebook page for more trail conditions.
Ladysmith Area Trails report:
(December 1st)- We have snow! Sisters farm received about 5 inches of snow. The entire trail system has been rolled to get the base started. All trails are rough with some dirt and has spots to avoid however if you want to get the rock skis out it is ski-able but slow and rough. Fat tire bike bike riding on the west side should be fairly good but low tire pressure is recommended as it maybe soft. Not a lot of snow for snowshoeing yet and as always please do not hike without snowshoes on groomed trails. With the first snow now is the time to consider sending in your LATA membership. Funds help us keep the trails open. See you out on the trails!
-For more updates, check out the Ladysmith Area Trail Association Facebook page.
(December 10th)- Happy Saturday! The park is now open.
We have to extend a HUGE thank you to our snow making crew for doubling the amount of snow in the park this year. Yesterday the Park Crew and Mountain Manager spent 12 hours of pushing, setting & raking. We hope you enjoy this opening set up! Snow tubing to open 12/16/22.
**Jump line will be completed 12/16/22
-Check out their website or Facebook page for more updates.
Stay in the loop!
Stay up to date on the latest Rusk County events, contests and deals.